Speed Build & Swappable - Component List by FliteTest

Posted: February 6, 2013  |  126,612 views

Here is a list of recommended components that you'll need for your Speed Build (Swappable Fuselage) Kits.

RADIO

Turnigy 4X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver (Mode 2)
HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2)

SERVOS
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo
Turnigy TG9e 9g Servos

PROP
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
GWS EP Propeller (RD-8043 203x109mm) (6pcs/set)

BATTERY
Turnigy 500mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

ESC
Dynam 18Amp ESC w/ 3A BEC
TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller
Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC

Motor

LazerToyz Blue Wonder 24g [2712-12]
HEXTRONIK 24GRAM BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER 1300KV
Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)

FOAM BOARD

ADAMS Foam Board - Dollar Tree Website
ADAMS Foam Board
 (Readi-Board) - Manufacturer Website

OTHER SUPPLIES
Push Rods: Music Wire .047
Linkage Stoppers D1.8mm (10pcs)
Linkage Stopper "Speed Clevis"

LazerToyz.com currently has a great electronics package designed specifically for the Flite Test Swappable Series! More details AVAILABLE HERE.

Click here to see: ALL The Flite Test Scratch Build Articles

Comments

MinG February 13, 2013
Do u ship to UK by any chance?
strows February 13, 2013
Love it, keep up the good work guys!!!
jrbemis February 14, 2013
Awesome idea.
I am going to running a Boy Scout Camporee based on Aviation. One part of the event is building and flying your own model. This cuts the cost down to size. Now all I have to do is get the electronics from HK in less than 3 months.

Thanks

baronbernie February 14, 2013
You guys are awsome! Thanks for being so thoughtful in designing this kit. Ordered one and am looking forward to building them. Keep up the super job and videos. Can't say enough good things about Flite Test,
rodyeo February 14, 2013
http://www.micro-flight.com This is the Microlight kit I dreamed :-))
Battershell February 14, 2013
I can't wait to get home and order! Thank you as always for the links to the electronics you use. Maybe someday you can combo those parts into a kit as well?????? Thank you again.
snowthief2 February 14, 2013
YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!!!!!
Cory Roy February 14, 2013
Great idea. I've placed my order and now am sourcing parts. I've built a kit before but it was reusing parkzone 1S stuff, so this will be my first proper kit build.

As such, I find figuring out what connectors I'll need to hook it all up a bit confusing. I think ESCs use bullet connectors, but I'm unsure of the size and usually motors come without. Can you recommend the part for these connectors to solder on?

Also is there a separate part number for prop adapters that will fit these motors?

Chubbs February 14, 2013
Escs will use bullet connectors as you thought, the size will depend on the size of the motor/esc you choose. If it draws under 20A (which most of these smaller motors will), i'd recommend using the smaller 2mm connectors (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66__2mm_Gold_Connectors_10_pairs_20pc_.html)

The 3.5mm connectors are more standard, but I find they are really large for these smaller motors/escs, and are really overkill.

Whatever size you get, don't forget heat shrink tubing! Really critical for these connectors so they don't touch each other.

you'll also need a connector for the battery side of things. This should match whatever battery you decide to get, but all of Hobbyking's stuff uses XT60 connectors (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9572__Nylon_XT60_Connectors_Male_Female_5_pairs_GENUINE.html)

Finally, the prop adapter will depend on the size of your motor shaft. This should be listed on the page of whatever motor you buy. Most in this size range are 3mm (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8240__Prop_Saver_w_Band_3mm_10pcs_.html), but be sure to check with your specific motor.
Cory Roy February 14, 2013
Thanks! I am in your debt!
SpidarX February 14, 2013
The link for the Push Rods: 1.4mm Piano Wire takes me to a servo instead!
TECH GEEK February 14, 2013
same

GFergy February 15, 2013
Great job with the swappable Kits!! Hey, where do you get your wire for push rods? Anything you find 'locally'?
Chubbs February 15, 2013
I had to go to my local hobby shop. You can try Lowes/Home Depot, as they have wire rod, but I found that even their smallest size was much too large for a plane this size. It's worth a shot though.

I think I paid $3 or so for 5 rods (3ft each) at my LHS, so they aren't that expensive.
RCmaniac February 17, 2013
I really like these speed build swappable kits maybe someday you can make a combo that come with the three kits and the electronics!
jlt1968 February 14, 2013
Love the site love the videos. Have a questions about the swapables. I have a hitec radio I bought a few years ago and have never used. Its a 3 channel single stick radio would this be a good radio for the swapable series planes. I plan on building all three and teaching myself and my kids how to fly.
I'm so glad you have made this an afordable hobbie.
Thanks
smit6089 February 18, 2013
It would be suitable for the Nutball and the FT Flyer but not for the Delta. The Delta needs something called V-Tail or Delta Wing Mixing which lets you use your elevators as both elevators and ailerons. This is usually built into most newer computer transmitters. I highly doubt your 3 channel has this feature. It would still let you fly two great planes.
Chubbs February 22, 2013
$25 (+shipping) will get you a decent radio off of hobbyking. As Smit said, your radio will work for 2 of the 3 planes, but I can't imagine wanting to teach your kids to fly on an obsolete 1 stick radio. They will just have to re-learn later on a normal radio when they're ready to move up.

If you're really looking to get into the hobby, I'd highly recommend spending a little extra on the Turnigy 9x or 9XR radio. They're a little more expensive ($50 + shipping), but they're 9ch computerized radios that will last for your entire RC career, with no need to upgrade, ever.
snowthief2 February 19, 2013
neither of the props have been available for ages are there any others

ringo42 February 19, 2013
Would this prop work?

cloud9photos February 18, 2013
Any other motor recommendations? 2 out of the 3 are out of stock!! I was thinking about using one of these motors http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/disposablefoamiecombo3d18aescthreadshaft-p-568.html

I also have 2 park 450's in the garage, but that may be a bit to heavy any thoughts?
Bolvon72 February 19, 2013
I use both the 3D and sport disposables. I like the prop saver better than the threaded shaft, the nut is a pain on the field. They both work great for these models.
Sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5tSMN_Q7bE
3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXX-qLRuUk
cloud9photos February 19, 2013
Awesome, thanks for the links and answering my question. I'm going to go with the sport motor for my builds.
Bolvon72 February 19, 2013
For props look around a bit, hobbypartz has a bag of 10 props for 4 or 5 bucks, Grayson has them about a buck a piece, I don't put the slow fly type on a plane for first timers, one off landing and the prop is bent and done. The standard seems to last a bit longer.
ringo42 February 20, 2013
I'm brand new to this. Can you recommend a specific prop from hobbypartz ? would this one be ok?

Bolvon72 February 20, 2013
Thats a bit small for this application, try http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-prop-8040.html
nunieboy February 28, 2013
hi, i just have a question about the components on this build.
i just bought the 18a ESC, but will this same set up work for the ft3d or the baby blender?
i want to eventually move up but i'm scared the smaller motor/esc will hinder me from enjoying the ft3d or baby blender
QRChuck March 3, 2013
got mine today and am super stoked about building the ft flyer and dart. I have be crash testing the nutball and look forward to the same with the dart and flyer.
jhiggy March 7, 2013
Can you possibly give some other alternatives to those props since they probably will be out of stock for the foreseeable future.
jhiggy March 7, 2013
This looks to be a good all around kit for these planes. Seems to include just about everything you need: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dy-1026.html
Duallight March 14, 2013
would a 25 gram 1600kv be to much kv for the swappables? I'm assuming that it would just make the planes go faster, am I correct? I'm still relatively new fyi.
Eric84 March 28, 2013
Hello, I'm getting into the hobby. Could anyone reccomend a complete charging system for the 2s and 3s lipo batteries? I would rather not use a car battery to power the charger. Thanks so much for any help.

acewingman April 9, 2013
I primarily charge 2/3S batteries with a regulated power supply. You can get one from here... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=120-536
brad April 17, 2013
Great Job Lads, me and my friend are on the Bloody Wonder combat road. Keep The Fun Comming..
gunntommy1970 April 28, 2013
Can you use larger batteries with this build? Like a Turnigy 800mAh 2S 35C or larger?
stonekap April 28, 2013
I've run up to a 1300mah... The bigger it is the higher the stall speed. An 800mah wouldn't be that different than the recommended 500mah.
82ndRCFlyer June 16, 2013
Im new so please bare with me can i use theTx that comes with v Bixler 1.1with this recommended set up?
thnx

danield July 3, 2013
Went to order power kit for FT 3 pack today. availability not for sale.( LazerToyz.com currently has a great electronics package designed specifically for the Flite Test Swappable Series! More details AVAILABLE HERE. - See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/swappable-fuselage-speed-build-kit#sthash.SG7HQU5V.dpuf Link works but could not order. link for FT 3D worked and I ordered. Could not get hold of there customer service.
cyasa July 10, 2013
Can I use a Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack +Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC+ HEXTRONIK 24GRAM BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER 1300KV or will it burn the motor out?
RC爱好者 August 5, 2013
这个很好,就是遥控器选什么?
iZilly August 5, 2013
I am going to build the FT3 soon but i am not very good a matching electronics? would there be anyone who could post me all the things needed, Motor, ESC, Servos, props and maybe batteries.

I do have radio and reciever, only need the electronics for the swappable pod
Steamwork August 31, 2013
can i use the propellers recommended above to push rather than pull? i mean can i mount them flipped?(the gws ep propellers i mean)
TCJ4 September 3, 2013
I have a couple of Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motors I was wondering if this would be comparable to the Beef motor recommended.
ramo November 7, 2013
this is my first foamie---gave it to a friend, he set it up and we flew it--WOW. now I have to build 2 more. I did seal edges with my iron, helps . lov-it making the wing now. ty again--69 years old and still flying.
gector November 13, 2013
I need to know the smallest motor that will possibly fly the FT Flyer, I am planning to use it as an indoor flyer for my local club. 'Cause the weather is gett'n bad.
jeericsson December 6, 2013
devin2014 January 27, 2014
Hi does anyone know how to make a powerpod which would be compatible with the more advanced planes like the spitfire as well as the ft flier and more basic models? thanks
Felixhobbyz December 14, 2013
Hi, I am relatively new to all rc planes ect. I have a dx4e transmitter and was wondering if I could put a 4ch receiver in the pod instead of having to buy a whole new transmitter and receiver? Any help would be great. thanks!

Yogenh February 12, 2014
With the DX4e you can put an other receiver in each of the pod you would then just have to bind it to the plane be for you fly it.
Charlie_King February 24, 2014
Thanks Guys Ive been watching your videos for a while and now with your help I am creating my own
Charlie_King February 24, 2014
PLanes that is not videos...lol
Scruffy March 3, 2014
Which Batteries you recommend for old speedster? I am asking because there is a few different recommendations on your website anything from 500mAh to 1300mAh.
I am looking to order electronics from hobbyking and a a kit from you guys.
Thanks
Scruffy March 3, 2014
EDIT: Also There are two prop recommendations as well: 8x4 and slow ones 9x4.7.
I am just starting so I am little confused.
Thanks!
Bolvon72 February 13, 2013
The Suppo is a great motor, I have three various Suppos now, but try out the GraysonHobbies disposable sport combo if anyone wants a cheap motor for these first three swappables. $20 for motor and esc. It flies circles around the hextronik. Of course the Suppo outflies them both.
serfixalot March 8, 2014
Witch is best the treaded shaft or the prop saver shaft?
imanewb April 19, 2014
As a self proclaimed newb and most items on this list being out of stock including the LazerToyz pack I'm left with the 3 Pack Swappable Speed Build Kit in transit and electronics confusion. I am sure i will get it figured out but if anyone with a good understanding of this stuff would be kind enough to share required specks for the items I would be grateful. I figure that way I could find what I need and others could use it too as its not tied to a specific brand that can be out of stock or discontinued.
jyoung2014 April 26, 2014
I have all the electronics and the kit on the way, but i am having issues finding a more affordable radio that will work... i wet to order the suggested one but the shipping is double the price! any suggestions on different models that will perform the same? thanks for the help! i need to order one soon....
SeanJuan73 May 8, 2014
You guys might want to update the options information. For example, the LazerToyz power pack has been discontinued.
kujosdawgs May 27, 2014
has it been discontinued or out of stock?
kujosdawgs May 27, 2014
yeah man, its just out of stock... not discontinued
vptorres May 27, 2014
I'm new to all this. The only thing that is missing for a suggestion is what type/style of screws are needed to mount motor to firewall. Suggestions?
kujosdawgs May 31, 2014
yea, same here
Adib Vahedi February 14, 2013
Cool thanks guys and i hope you get lots of Money for this and keep it up!!!!!! ;)
You guys inspire me and i <3 you!!!

Keep it up and never stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Big fan 92 June 10, 2014
Ya man helped me a lot I found a new side hobby
rodyeo February 14, 2013
Love the kits build concept. Hope some day you guys could build the Ultralight Trike kit for sale... :-)

Big fan 92 June 10, 2014
Ya or a small indoor kit would be fun
RileyRC April 25, 2013
If it weren't for you I would have never found my new hobby
Big fan 92 June 10, 2014
Please build a indoor swappable tiny
sasoahe July 22, 2014
should i remove the battery every time to recharge it ??

Trex014 July 24, 2014
I can't wait to make a nut ball