FT Swappable - Power Pod Build by FliteTest

Posted: February 13, 2013  |  217,322 views

This video will walk you through the complete build for the swappable series Power Pod.

Here are some more great building tips!

Build Plans:
POWER POD BUILD PLANS

Recommended Electronics:
Power Pod ELECTRONICS AND COMPONENTS

Full List of Links to the Scratch Build Series:
SCRATCH BUILD SERIES.

FT ScratchBuild - Beginner Series

FT ScratchBuild - Intermediate Series

FT ScratchBuild - Advanced Series

ALL The Flite Test Scratch Build Articles

Comments

Adib Vahedi February 15, 2013
Cool thanks for the walkthrough!!!

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
x3mperformance February 15, 2013
Nice. And you actually made it a bit stronger.
I used these during winter and indoor flights.
Can highly recommend it. Fun, educational and entertaning.
That's it.
Keep up the god work.
Bolvon72 February 16, 2013
Sonicg February 16, 2013
What is the size of the foam board that is used, LxWxH?
We don't have dollar tree here, so I am not familiar with their boards.
Bolvon72 February 16, 2013
It is Adams Readiboard which is 20x30 inches and 4mm thick.
twan1997 February 16, 2013
i dont know about the length and width, but according to the plans, dollar tree foam is jst about 4mm thick, i built everything out of 6mm depron, so some minor adjustments was required :)
ottoangel June 25, 2013
What adjustments was needed?
Robr0924 February 16, 2013
Built a nut ball today
RCmaniac February 17, 2013
I am going to buy some foam and build all three swappables!
tramsgar February 17, 2013
Good to see the new plans, I had serious scale issues with the old one (differed in size between the different swappable airframe plans) which affected the whole line... Thanks!
EpicScandinavian March 1, 2013
Hey how about a swappable glider? You guys have made a swappable airframe for many types of aircraft and flying styles so adding a swappable glider would round out the group.

And thank you, all of you from flitetest, for all your hard work in creating such a great platform to get into the scratchbuilding hobby on a budget.
kah00na May 24, 2013
I'd like to see some gliders too. My kids would love some easy projects ending with something they could throw around outside.
lolodotkoli January 6, 2014
A swappable glider would be perfect!
Rcairplanenoob March 2, 2013
Rcairplanenoob March 2, 2013
Jaxx March 6, 2013
Josh,

I may have missed it in the video, but what size is the wire that you used for the landing gear?
Royalstar05 March 15, 2013
Josh
I love all the work you are putting into the plans and videos Just a thought if you could put on the plans as to where the paper needs to be removed this would be a big help
keep up the great work
Skipp2Maloo March 19, 2013
Should I build in down thrust and right thrust into my power pod? I know the nutball called for some.
canterburyflyer April 1, 2013
Do you guys know how much of the Hobby King items required for this build are back ordered? I have this feeling that your Speed Builds are the reason. But that's a good thing for the hobby. Boy what a chore, I have open shopping carts on three different suppliers sites. Cant wait until all the components are finally here. Good on you guys, if it weren't for you I would know nothing of this.
P_Lane_Planes April 12, 2013
What are the finished dimensions supposed to be for this pod? Excited to get started! Thanks!
FPVxplorer May 4, 2013
Can the firewall be made from MDF?

kah00na May 24, 2013
If you can get it thin enough. It would probably be alright. The firewall acts as the mount for the motor so as long as you are confident that the screws won't pull out of it, then it should be alright.
jsp0112 February 19, 2013
Can you show a diagram of how all the electronics are hooked up?
RCbacon May 1, 2013
The Battery goes to the ESC and then the ESC goes to the motor and the servo wire on the ESC goes to the receiver :) Then you plug in your servos to the reciver :) If there is something you wonder about let me know :) Hope i helped!
wcsli994 August 28, 2013
Newbie (sympathy welcome and appreciated). We built the pod, bought the electronics kit. Confused about the electrical hookup as stated above. We have a Fly Sky FS-R6B receiver. Does the "servo wire on the ESC" go to the battery slot on the FS-R6B receiver? The ESC wiring is brown, red, orange. Which side is positive, which is negative so I can plug it into the receiver correctly. thanks so much.
RCbacon August 28, 2013
Brown and black wires are usually ground(aka negatvie), red is usually positive and the white or orange is usually signal. On my receiver(Turnigy 9X rx) ch3 is where you plug in the esc, i think its ch3 in general. Usually the signal wire should point inwards or up depending on your rx. And for your information the "battery slot" is used if you have a battery just for binding, which i think is kinda useless in my opinion. Fast tip: Buy a lot of props, you're gonna need them(i know that from experience) :)
Hope i helped!
Drezed September 17, 2013
The battery slot can also be used for a separate receiver/servo battery, or to use a "stand alone" BEC. :-)
bstarkey54 March 21, 2013
I've started building my first power pod. I noticed that the video shows the firewall covering both the sides of the foam fuselage with it's width. The firewall in the plans shows 2 inches wide and the distance from the insides of the bodys foam is 2 inches. This means the wood fits inside the foam body and not over it as shown in the video. Is this a mistake in the plans or did I do something wrong??
RCbacon May 1, 2013
The first thing that came to my mind is that you did a "B" fold instead of an "A" fold! "A" fold is where you fold the "cheeks" on the bottom plate and a "B" fold is when you fold the "cheeks" besides the bottom plate. Hope i helped!
bmeyer May 1, 2013
A couple of you asked what size wire they use for the landing gear. They are using 2mm wire. I don't have metric sized wire here, so I use .074 inch wire, and it works perfect.
Velmurugan Pravin March 24, 2013
Hey may I know how to center servos? A complete newbie here :)
kah00na May 24, 2013
Connect the servos and ESC to your receiver, turn on your transmitter, and then connect the battery. The servos will move a little and then center themselves.
Rcairplanenoob June 3, 2013
How do you mount the turnigy 28 26 propdrive motor?? The shaft is set
Up to be mounted behind the firewall. Please help
tekgeek June 6, 2013
which motor did you buy? the list of recommended items is on this page

the best motor for this would be a 1300KV blue wonder type
especially if you are new to flying you don't want something fast

sconner October 29, 2013
You ever get an answer to this? I also have "the beef" power pack and it appears the shaft needs to be swapped.
Jim Bridger June 7, 2013
Love to see a video of the laser cutter in action.
jim0020@me.com June 8, 2013
Great Site!

Noob question...sorry...but how did you attach the prop? I have a collar that came with the motor, but I don't see how it fits with the prop...hot glue?
jim0020@me.com June 8, 2013
Ah ha! Figured it out...prop saver...collar goes on first, then prop, then black band loops aroumd bolts on collar and over prop.
Mr-Leo April 24, 2013
What size is the wire that is used for the landing gear?
Discos_Dead July 18, 2013
Here is the link to the plans for the Old Fogey landing gear. However, I don't know if all the swappable landing gear(s) use the same diameter. Good luck!
Link:
Kimball Goss July 16, 2013
*sigh* mine looks less... pretty.
Discos_Dead July 18, 2013
Ah, but the prettier it is the more nervous you will be about flying it.
HighFlight2k2 August 20, 2013
Any way you could make a single PDF?
capt_ks September 15, 2013
I have searched the Internet high and low for a building board like the one you use in the videos. Where can I find one?
Crashandburn September 15, 2013
Crashandburn September 15, 2013
I live in San Diego and I found at a store called Michaels some foam board packs of 2 made by Elmer's L24"×W18"×D3/16". in CM. approximately
60cm×45cm×4cm. I hope this info is help full all so try WWW.Elmers.com Good luck and happy landings
joann69 September 15, 2013
You can get your building board at any Michaels craft store, they have different brands and sizes. Sometimes hobby stores carry them, but I think Michaels would be the first place to look. Wish you luck.
capt_ks September 19, 2013
Thanks. After searching and searching, I discovered it's called a cutting mat! No wonder I couldn't find it!
Bedrock October 11, 2013
Does anybody have any tips on some free software, so I can edit the plans a bit (just tweak the slot sizes etc.) in order to use 3mm foamboard. (UK 5mm seems to heavy for indoor flying...).
Okie October 12, 2013
what size of wire is that I know that he said 15,in, long but how thick?
pakelika1 October 25, 2013
Okie 2.5 mm but I used 2 mm but to be correct with josh its 2.5 mm I suggest that my 2 mm is a little weak/flimsy
daleyflyer November 6, 2013
daleyflyer November 6, 2013
Found that I had missed a step!! Signed RedFaced
jackthursby November 12, 2013
what thickness ply is the fire wall made from?
Re-experienced64 November 19, 2013
Hello. What about thurst angle with the power pod ? how to manage it with differents planes ?
Javieruriel November 22, 2013
Look i bougt the versa kit and i have this speed control 25-Amp Airplane Brushless ESC by E-flite (EFLA325A) but. I dont know witch motor i need
zryanz December 26, 2013
is there a reason why all the batteries are placed outside of the powerpod?
Pilotx1 February 20, 2014
Just build the duster with the powerpod and the front tabs don't engage the fuselage, looking at the design the skewer plate glued into the fuse prevents the front tabs from engaging... anyone else have this problem?
Chrismatte February 23, 2014
I built my fire wall out of polycarbonate, its amazing, i got it from the top of the gopro packaging, it works great!!!
karb0n13 July 30, 2013
Two things..
1st, would it be possible to get these as un-tiled images for those of us who have access to plotters?
2nd, Would there be any benefit to building the swappables out of corrugated plastic? It seems that while you'd lose a bit when it comes to weight it would become darn near indestructable.
Chrismatte February 23, 2014
I like that idea!!! Im going to test this this coming week, ill build a nutball, ill keep the foam swappable pod, but everything else will be corrugated plastic, ill let you know how it works, it may be three weeks as i am waiting for materials to come in.

Cheers,

Chris
karb0n13 March 12, 2014
I look forward hearing of your results. it only took my son about 30 minutes of trying to fly to mangle the dart to a floppy unrecognizable mess. Hopefully going to plastic will make it a bit more durable.
xellosshugo April 18, 2014
Hey guys, how do I actually make a plain foam board into these plane part? Do I cut according to the plan or there's some more feasible way?
zephyrrc May 14, 2014
hey guys, just wandering about the wheels, after you showed us how to make the wheels, when you where showing us how to put the ESCs in, I noticed at the bottom at the pod where the landing gear is, there where different wheels not the foam board wheels, do you get them in the speedbuild kits or did he use his own wheels?

great video keep up the good work! :)
Kingroy1993 May 27, 2014
good day, where can i go to purchase the FT Swappable Power Pod Build?

Kingroy1993 May 27, 2014
i really would like to build the FT Spitfire
sanskar June 10, 2014
do you know any websites which ship to India and do you ship to India
bougui June 13, 2014
Hi,

just got my 2 3 planes flite kit, from lazertoy with the power kit. Now on both kit the motor mount are round (different then the video) and the hole are too big for using servo screw. But can you tell me how to fit the motor into those motor mount, they seem just a little too small. Do I need to sand the motor shaft that goes into the motor mount ?

thanks
bougui June 18, 2014
I finally got it,

Just sand the 2 pieces and put some oil !

Voila
dslyr1 June 25, 2014
How do you install the power pod in to the plane with the skewers that are holding the landing gear on sticking out the sides of the power pod
sasoahe July 22, 2014
how can i recharge the battery???
jeffeb3 August 6, 2014
Couple of questions/comments:

1) What's the advantage of the "A" fold? If I do it the other way (another commenter called it a "B" fold) would it still be as strong? I'm planning on putting a Multiwii inside the pod, and I need the extra width. I think the dimensions would work out as long as I made the firewall the right size, and also folded the plane parts in a "B" fold.

2) You should sell stiff templates. I would like the advantage of a laser cutter, but I will probably ruin a few parts, and don't want to buy several kits for one cheapo plane. If you made good, stiff templates, I could buy one of those (for hopefully about the same price as a kit) and then remake parts when I destroyed one.
fblast August 25, 2014
May I know what material is firewall made of ? Wood ? Aluminum ?

awesomedirt5 August 31, 2014
Its made from hobby plywood
Bored Amish September 4, 2014
If you don't have a hobby store and don't feel like ordering some...head over to Wal-Mart.
in the crafts section there should be some wooden door hangers. You can make 12-18 firewalls with a pack of six for $4. While you're there, pick up BBQ skewers 100 for $.97!