I want to share an idea I had after building my tricopter, following the design of David Windestål.(http://rcexplorer.se ; Thanks David for sharing, great thing ;-) ).
I used aluminium booms from my local hardware store. One piece of 2 meters for about 5€. I cut three 50cm pieces and mounted the motors after dooing the tail motor mount with a BMS-385DMAX digital servo.
I again followed David's design with the front wheel steering mounts for the yaw mechanisms.
As it is sometimes difficould to get the right part in germany, for a reasonable price, I hat some additional work to manipulate the mounts I could get. The finished setup works fine but it took aboud 2 hours to get the Graupner front weel mounts right. [I linke my Dremel]
So far I spent about 33€.
With the central mounting plates, I was lucky to have a good friend, who did 1mm aluminium plates for me on a laser cutting machine for free (Thanks Udo).
As a basis I uses again David's design and added four holes for mounting the KK board directly ont top of the plates, with nylon srews.
The additional parts I used were:
3x Turnigy Multistar 20 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S (OPTO)
1x Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board
1x Turnigy 3A UBEC with Low Voltage Buzzer
1x Graupner GR-12 Receiver
3x Turnigy D2836/11 750KV Brushless Outrunner Motor
3x 9x4.7 Props (2x CW, 1x CCW)
60cm Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG red
60cm Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG black
srews, shrinktube, externsion servo wire, zipties, asf.
Over all cost with some small additional items: 150Euro (today about 195 USD)
I flashed the KK2.0 board with the KaptainKuk FW 1.5 and made some adjustments.
After plugging in a 2200mAh 3S LiPo the maiden flight was OK.
But I was not satisfied with the landing gear I did.
So I developed the simple setup I want to share:
As the original setup was not very stable, a little heavy and got very dirty when getting into rough areas outside, I wanted something else. -> And my solution is very cheap and easy to build.
Here is it:
I choose three 1,5mm, and 30 cm long pieces of piano wire and bend an L edge to one end in the first step.
Then I did a Z and bend the piano wire arround a 10cm diameter metal pipe (piano wire is quit strong).
Then I cut off about 11cm, but this depends on the amount of space you want to have between the ground and your copter frame.
Then I drilled two 1,5mm holes in the buttom side of the each boom. 5cm from the end and 10 cm apart.
After inserting the bend piano wire I fixed it with a ziptie and was ready to got.
The advantages I see with this are, the quick and easy build (15 minutes). It is very cheap, only three pieces of piano wire and three zipties are needed. I does not get dirty in rough areas and if, it is easy to clean. The air from the props is not blocked or has no bad influence when reflected. Depending on the "stiffness" of the piano wire it does give you some shock absorbation when landing a little harder. -That's it !
I hope you enjoy this idea, as it is not totally new. But I did not see this on a multi rotor setup yet and I hope to have added some development to the project you all are working on.