I've always loved the FW 190 and it has always been one of my favorite planes. I first got the idea to build one when I was building my 3rd plane (second FT plane) the Spitfire. I thought I could maybe dogfight it with my Spitfire and since I always wanted a flyable FW 190 I thought it would be a great excuse to build one.
Step one was designing the blueprints and choosing which model I was going to build. I settled for a FW 190 A8 because it was one of my favorite variants. I based my blueprints on existing A8 blueprints and designed them heavily around the build principles of the FT Spitfire. This included the same wing assembly and wing spar as well as a similarly designed fuselage with the card "skin".TILED FW190 plans.ai
The image above is my adobe illustrator workbench so to speak. I used the FT Spitfire plans and designed the FW around those plans as is visible on the image. It is also thanks to the Blueprints that I decided I needed a 15 inch 3 blade prop to be accurately to scale. You can also see the "eastern front" camo scheme I was going after. However, I did also differ from the FT Spitfires in terms of the rudder and how it continues into the fuselage to make it both a guide for the card skin and as well as more structurally strong (as this is the section that broke when I crashed my Spitfire). To convert the Adobe illustrator plans to foamboard cutouts I simply print out the shapes on A3 paper and trace out the shape on foamboard wich I then cut out. Its a lengthy process but it assures the best result.
The engine cowling was one of the hardest elements to create on the Focke Wulf. The cylindrical bit was was easy you simply just had to round out a rectangular piece of foam using the same techniques FT used on their twin-engine Hydroplane. However, the sloped front of the plane was trial and error. It took me about 5 attempts and about 2 hours to get the right angle I was looking for.
I 3D printed an engine firewall that would fit in the nose perfectly as there were no premade firewalls that were on the market that were the right shape for my build. However, I made some faulty measurements and it ended up being 5 mills to short both in the X and Y axis.
To rectify my screw up I simply cut a piece of foam board in half and put it all around the firewall as you can see in the image above.
Appart from the mistake the firewall worked great, not only to hold the motor in place but was also unintentionally used to support the box frame around it (the fuselage).
The engine cowling slotted perfectly over the fuselage with no mods needed. It is simply held in using hot glue and friction. This fuselage is very similar to that of the FT Spitfire as it was after all heavily based on it.
This is where I started to stray from the FT Spitfire, the tail continues all the way into the fuselage as to provide greater strength as well as provides the card "skin" with a guide.
I used a spacer to hold the tail in the center of the fuselage.
The wings are designed exactly like the FT Spitfire, only the shape is slightly different. Even the dihedral and the wing spare are the same.
I marked out where I wanted the fuselage to sit on the wings.
I then cut out the rough shape and trimmed it to shape.
I had to trim down the firewall box using a soldering iron (do not do that it absolutely stinks afterwards) for the wings to be able to slot in.
The wings were permanently glued on as removable wings would have simply been too much of a pain to make.
Ribbing for the battery access port/ 2x heavy mg gun pods.
Skinning the battery port on the nose using card paper, hot glue, and tape.
Finished battery access / Mg gun pods with 2 barbeque skewers as gun barrels.
And It's removable!!!!
Made a slot for the elevator and marked and cut out a hole for it to be able to move up and down.
Front on view of gun pod.
I installed the card "skin" on the top and base of the tail section. I attached it using both hot glue and tape. I also put together foam stands to make spray painting the model a lot easier.
I put a piece of foam on the cowling as to make it more like the original model.
Testing to see whether it would be possible to spray paint on clear plastic well. (I bought the wrong type of red/brown paint)
Testing paint on scrap wing (a roll of 3D printing PLA filament fell on it and poked holes in the wing so I used it as a test wing instead).
Testing the same principle on the underside of the wing.
Prepping clear parts of the cockpit by covering them with masking tape.
Turned out really well.
After covering the top of the aircraft with masking tape and paper, I spray painted the underside.
It turned out fairly well.
Covering the underside as to not accidentally paint it.
Turned out great!
Painted the yellow wing tips as well as the nose.
Painting camo spots by hand based on the image.
The yellow wing tips.
Attaching the cockpit after many failed attempts.
Almost finished plane. All I need now are the markings (iron cross etc.) and the electronics and she's good to go!
3D printed temporary prop spinner while I wait on the 3 blade 14inch one.
Just received my new prop and I 3D printed a new spinner to go with it.She is now sitting in my drawer waiting for me to finish her. I will most probably get the time to finish and fly her during the Christmas period. If you would like the print files for both the firewall and the spinners to feel free to ask.