Hi Everyone ,
This is my second article , Thanks for the response on my first article on BF-109 . This is again going to be a german fighter from WW1 .
Albatros DVa is a piece of an art ,It just captivated my attention every-time I saw it . specially the fuselage has nice curved shape which makes it very aerodynamic . Every time you hear a word "WW1 fighter" image of this plane would pop up in my mind . I was looking for some plans online and came across this on pinterest .
Based on my previous experience I figured out that it can be converted to RC , considering the performance I was looking for power pack A is best suited for this model . I used https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/cut-photo-into-pieces-result.php to tool to cut the image into 4x4 to get around 31 " wing span .
I started with fuselage construction first , since there are multiple connecting parts I added oval shaped support in between each connection . I added oval shape connector first to one part with double foam sheet and then cut hole in the middle later , that way you will retain the strength in the design . Next I attached tail and the rudder and made sure they are aligned.
The next challenge was to build struts which would hold the upper wings and also the landing gears . I did some research by looking at original photos and videos to see how it actually looks . the upper wing is supported by this Z shape support if you look from the side . I used all wires to make it stable but you can make use of sticks as well . but wires gives you more rigidity in my experience . It is very important to make sure that both the wings are parallel to other and also aligned perfectly . both the wings are single piece of foam with no folds .
For upper wing I added couple of bends to make it curved and for lower wing I only added one bend . as you can see below .
Also I decided to make to 4 channel so , added ailerons as well and installed servos before attaching the wing . for the bottom wing I added a BBQ skewer in the middle for more strength since this area would take more impact while landing .
Landing gear is made out of wire in front and BBQ skewer on back for more support . I used 1" rubber wheels which is closer real once . Although they are not very helpful when landing in grass so you have to be gentle with landing .
The first thing you notice in Albatros is the engine which sticks out almost completely exposed . I looked up some old photos and videos to understand how to original engine looked like and came up with simple structure which looks kind of similar and easy to build . I decided to go with building 6 cylinders inline with 4 sheets of foam and then cut edges in an angle to make shape it into cylindrical shape . after attaching this to bettery hatch the next part is exhausts which gives authentic look to engine . I have used copper tubes because they are easier to bend and has some weight as well . Its important to add weight since tail section has some weight .
The engine assembly completely rest on the battery hatch also added couple of machine guns on side which acts as lock . I have added magnets to lock the hatch securely.
Another peculiarity of this airplane is a nose spinners , its literally cherry on top .I tried to find one online which could fit this model but ended up building a custom spinner . I started with a circular balsa base at back with some plastic sheets for strength. Then I used some insulation foam and attached whole thing to the motor and used it to carve the spinner like a potter's wheel . I kept sanding until I got desired shape and made sure the spinner is running at high RPM . then I removed foam spinner from the base and carved grooves for the prop . Then I installed prop and stuck back spinner on top .
Its important to make sure the spinner doesn't wobble in high RPM with prop on
After I was done with basic parts it was time to add some details to make it look more authentic . I added a radiator made out of card board mounted on top wing and a tiny windshield
there are numerous color schemes available for this plane online but i decided to go with red and beige . Finally I installed some wires in the wings and this is a final result
Its looks so beautiful , definitely you can also keep it as a show piece .
Maiden flight was ok but I realized that it was bit tail heavy so I added some hot glue in the nose near power pod and made sure the CG is between the two bends made on the top wing . Since its a slow flyer I would recommend flying in winds under 10 MPH . here are some specifications
Power pack A
prop : 6 X 3
Battery : 850 mAmps
here are some settings I used on my radio
Aileron rate : 50 % expo 30 %
elevator rate : 80 % expo 20 %
I hand launched it with 80% throttle in the wind , it feels under power at first but then slowly starts to climb .
Its a great slow flyer , really surprised with stability and performance .
I hope you enjoy building this and share your experience in the comments !!
Log In to reply
Log In to reply
Log In to reply
Log In to reply
You need to log-in to comment on articles.