This summer I both my first RC Plane and started flying but as soon as I found the Flite test website I wanted to build something myself.
I loved the Spitfire build, but stumbled onto the article from ultramicrobe and by seeing his Swappable Messerschmitt Bf109 based on FT Spitfire I had the idee to build one but bigger, and some more details.
Especially the nose part I wanted to have more details, and so I came up with the idea to use hard isolation foam and sculpture the nose with his war cannons.
So I came up with Sanding the form and bonding it on the foam board.
Bigger than the spitfire? Yes, so I used 5mm foam board and carbon fiber rods in the wing.
Wingspan 1,26 m.
To have à smoother surface befor painting I used
Multiplex Multi primer and Hobbico Hobbylite Filler
Before Painting the plane, I did lots of tests with different spray paints.
So I found out that i needed only Foam safe paint for the nose, and that for the foam board there was not really à restriction.
A good friend of my, came up with the idea to print on his 3d printer the structure for the cockpit, so the plastic wood nod break immediately at the first wrong landing.
And sins I was only flying from this summer I intended to make à lot off them landings.
The First Flite.
Beginners mistake, or beginner’s luck, call it as you which. But I had no idée how to treat the CG point, and at my first hand launch the plane pointed his nose up and I had to struggle to keep control.
Ok. back behind the PC and one week off reading and movies on the Flite test site I adapted the plane.I had to put almost 120gr of lead in the nose to get the plane balanced.
The result of this you see in the movie.
The plane needed some left trim, and is still very itchy on the elevator, but fly’s very nice.