The FW-190 Revamped
After returning from my vacation to visit my new grand daughters I found that I was not happy with the 190, so I set out to revamp the design and ended up starting over from scratch almost. It was evident that the fuselage was to week in the wing saddle area, and I had to come up with a solution to this problem In order to allow for the more rounded fuselage. 1" pink foamular by Owens Corning was the answer. I also added gun blisters using the same material, and beefed up the landing gear using the swappable design by Flying Penguin RC, and added more strength to the wings by adding an additional dihedral brace. Modifications were also added to the design of the cockpit area. I've created a build module on my facebook Page to act as a visual aid to the instruction packet, and invite all to visit, critique, post questions, and like while you are there.
The wing support block allows the frame to be strengthened at the wing saddle without adding alot of extra weight!
Material was then removed to lighten the load in the tail section.
Gun blisters were then added for extra detail using the foamular.
Longetudinal stringers were also added to help support the posterboard skin, and the cockpit area was made more to the form of the real aircraft.
It finally became the airframe I was hoping for!
Once the clear canopy and the Decals are applied it just looks awesome!
On the landing gear I used the swappable design by Flying penguin RC modified for use on the Wolf. I used 1/4" X 1/2" dowels instead of 1/4" X 1/4" and added coffee straw sleves to the struts to attach the Fairings to. I recomend using 1/8" piano wire for the struts, however I chose to use a coat hanger bcauseit's easier to cut and bend.
And I used Du Bro 2.5" micro sport wheels. Just had to tap the holes out to fit the wire.
The spar is the standard fold and glue foam spar with the adition of a dihedral brace that locks into the two inner slots in the lower wing surface.
The wing construction is a little bit diferent as both spars are glued to the first wing half befor it is folded.
Dihedral is maintained by a didral support brace (supplied with the plans) that fits into a slot cut in the tip of the lower surface under the servo.
The second wing half is then built onto the spar and but glued to the first wing half.
I chose to add Extreme packaging tape to the center even with the dihedral brace added. the lower surface of the wing is exposed on the finished model and this cannot be covered up, so you may wish to omit this.
Alignment blocks are then added for alignment with the fuselage.
The swappable landing gear fits quite snugly and stays in place very well.
But I still added a single nylon strap for that added feeling of security.
The wings are then panted and ready to mount to the fuselage.
Details can be added like the machine guns I added. BBQ scures drilled out at the end, and painted.
The transparent canopy provides the option for a highly detailed cockpit like a scale pilot bust.
As you can see here I had a little dificulty gluing on the canopy, and didn't match the color very well. both color and B&W versions are supplied with the plans so if you have Photoshop or a photo editing program. You can always import the B&W version and match your own color.
I've tried to keep my designs as simple as possable for the builder, but I couldn't resist with this one. It has good potential for a scale looking Dollar Tree Foam aircraft. One that you will be proud to show of at the flying field. Plans are now available at Beyond the Wheel RC, and a full build module can be viewd at my facebook page. Suggestions are welcom for future designs so feel free to let me know what you'd like to see.
This video was posted by Randy Floyd of his version of the FW-190 just recently. He has given permission so I thought I'd post it to this artical for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!
Visit my website and get yours today: Flyin Foam RC
Go here for the Build Module: FW-190 Build module