Josh takes you step-by-step through how to build the new FT Simple Cub! As always, it is highly suggested to watch the video as you build.
- Assemble power pod. Cut holes to help route ESC. Clear out cavities.
- Make A-folds and reinforce with hot glue. Make sure both sides are nice and square (90 degree angles).
- Install firewall with hot glue (hold 30 seconds). Reinforce with tape.
- Put tape on tabs. Open holes with barbecue skewers.
- Assemble motor. (Watch video for details.) Don’t put on the propeller just yet.
- Mount motor onto powerpod on firewall.
- Mount ESC on bottom. Test the servos in manual mode. Make sure it spins counter-clockwise.
- Pass battery connectors and ESC wire into powerpod.
- Center control horns. Watch video for details
- Open up cavities and remove. (See video for details)
- Center spar: Make A fold with hot glue. Glue foam to foam, not paper. Repeat on other side of spar.
- Make C fold with hot glue. Repeat on second wing.
- Cut 45 degree bevel on first wing. Repeat on second wing.
- Attach both wings together with tape. See video for details.
- Glue in crease. Remove excess foam.
- Pop out aileron holes.
- Attach spar with hot glue.
- Contour wings and begin to fold over. Reinforce with hot glue. Watch video for details.
- Create dihedral for wing. Use dihedral gages. Reinforce with hot glue. Reinforce with tape. Watch video for details.
- Clear out cavities for folds. Watch video for details.
- Glue doublers.
- Establish crease line on back edge.
- Make B fold with hot glue. Watch video for details on where to put hot glue. Repeat on other side.
- Install bottom plate with hot glue.
- Install windshield and nose. Watch video for details.
- Install front cowling area.
- Bevel elevator and rudder. Reinforce with hot glue. Watch video for details.
- Install tail on to airplane.
Servos, Push rods and Control Horns
Install according to video.
(Watch video for details)
- Make and install landing gear.
- Install wing.
Check out the FT Simple Cub plans here:
Thank you to Dan Sponholz for making these plans available to everyone!
What's your favorite thing about the FT Simple Cub? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!