First Person View (FPV) has been a huge technological advancement and is within reach of the community today. I've been fascinated with FPV (coming from the real cockpit) for quite some time and it's awesome to have the 'in the cockpit' experience of your model. What's better than 'straight forward FPV???' Pan and Tilte of course!! Most of the videos or articles I have read/watched use expensive 6+ Channel radios and Receiver to obtain this experience. What if I told you the NEW Spektrum DX6 can do this with a 6 Channel Receiver..... Shall we begin....
No in depth reviews or video for setting up the new Spektrum DX6 for head tracking (pan/tilt)
YOUR READING IT...in depth look at setting up pan/tilt utilizing the Spektrum DX6 and 6 Channel Rx.
Approximately 30 Steps that are quick and will get you on your way to the "true cockpit experience."
Fatshark Teleporter V4 (or your head tracking goggles in the Fatshark arena)
Spektrum DX6 (got it specifically to to fly FPV with pan/tilt headtracking)
Potentially the DX7...would allow pan/tilt/roll...unfortunately I don't have one to test out.
6-Channel Receiver (I'm using orange Rx R620)
2- servos for Pan and Tilt (Gear and AUX1 Respectively)
Pan/Tilt apparatus (I haven't made mine yet)
SIDE NOTE: Now there are videos out there about setting Spektrum transmitters up using the DX8 and I tried to follow those instructions since the AirWare is almost identical to the DX6. In short....DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME...it doesn't work unless you have the DX8. Spektrum created a neat feature called 'FPV' in the Trainer Settings WAY TO GO SPEKTRUM....stinking awesome!
Now to the good news who have the DX6. Follow the step in the video and procedural hookup and it'll work.
VIDEO for configuring and setup is at the CONCLUSION
1) SAFETY FIRST....Remove your prop!
2) Make sure your DX6 is bound to your receiver of choice and your Flight control channels work.
DX6 Setup and Configure:
1) Turn the DX6 ON (hold roller button and then power on to enter 'System Setup' (or scroll to system setup)
2) Scoll all the way down to 'Trainer'
3) Click 'Wired Trainer'
4) You'll see 'Inhibit'...scroll to the right until you see "FPV."
5) Click FPV
6) The FOUR channels shown are the flight control channels that should be in "MASTER" settings
7) Scroll down to the Switch and Assign it to one of your choice. I chose switch H because it's a 2-position (on/off).
NOTE:I like to have the option to turn off head tracking (also will center your camera if you get disoriented) that's why I went this route.
8) Scroll to "NEXT" The Page Title is "HEAD TRACKER" Look at that...Spektrum...you knew we wanted it!
Step 9-12 are for PAN
9) Scroll down to 'Output Channel" and set to Gear for PAN
10) Scroll down to "mode" and set to SLAVE since the Fatshark goggles will control it through the trainer port.
11) Scroll to "input channel" and select '5.'
12) Scale will control servo travel and Direction will control Left/Right (You look left, servo goes right...REVERSE it)
Steps 13-16 for TILT
13) Go back to 'Output Channel' on same page AUX1 for TILT (radio saved your PAN settings so don't worry)
14) Scroll down to "mode" and set to SLAVE since the Fatshark goggles will control it through the trainer port.
15) Scroll to "input channel" and select '6.'
16) Scale will control servo travel and Direction will control Up/Down (again if you need to reverse you can)
GOT IT....Almost there...
17)Scroll to 'BACK'
18) "Trainer" FPV page is shown...verify you assigned a specific switch.
19) Click 'LIST'
20) Click 'MAIN'
21) You may get a screen that says "WARNINGS NO SLAVE!"
NOTE: It says this cause the trainer port isn't physically being used at this time and the assigned switch is activated. Flip the switch you assigned to the opposite position.
22) Turn OFF your radio
Initialization Step-by-Step Procedure (Sequence of steps)
Radio is already bound to Rx (I played around with different sequences and this worked and seemed to make the mose procedural sense)
23) Make sure your 2 Pan/Tilt servos are plugged into your Rx (Pan - channel 5, Tilt - Channel 6)
24) Turn on your DX6
25) Plug in your Rx battery or flight battery (Confirm Radio is bound and connected)
26) Plug in your Fatshark Goggles Head tracking/data port. (Anetnna Attached...don't burn up your equipment)
27) Plug Trainer cord into DX6
28) NOW...power up your Fatshark goggles.
29) Do you have any movement??? If SO, great!!! If NOT step 30 is for YOU.
30) Remember that switch you assigned...FLIP IT. You should have Pan and Tilt while controlling your flight controls.
1) Goggles power OFF
NOTE: If you flip the assigned switch you'll receive a message "WARNING NO SLAVE!" because the Goggles are the MASTER for Pan and Tilt. This will appear if you're flying without FPV just flip the assigned switch to opposite position...don't freak out...you still have flight control, it's just warning you the Pan/Tilt servos are inoperative.
2) Trainer cord from DX6
3) Head Tracking/Data port cord
4) Unlplug Flight Batter/Rx battery
5) Turn off DX6
STEP by STEP Video
Setting up the new Spektrum DX6 for head tracking using FPV option in the DX6 is an amazing feature that Spekrum seems to have given thought specifically for that purpose. The process is fairly simple and straight forward and will give you that true "in cockpit experience" through the pan/tilt option. Enjoy and let me know if there are any questions or comments. Thanks